} -->

Saturday 21 July 2012

Slave to Sensation By Nalini Singh (#1)

THE HOT NEW NAME IN PARANORMAL ROMANCE.
Nalini Singh dives into a world torn apart by a powerful race with phenomenal powers of the mind-and none of the heart.
In a world that denies emotions, where the ruling Psy punish any sign of desire, Sascha Duncan must conceal the feelings that brand her as flawed. To reveal them would be to sentence herself to the horror of "rehabilitation" - the complete psychic erasure of everything she ever was...
Both human and animal, Lucas Hunter is a changeling hungry for the very sensations the Psy disdain. After centuries of uneasy coexistence, these two races are now on the verge of war over the brutal murders of several changeling women. Lucas is determined to find the Psy killer who butchered his packmate, and Sascha is his ticket into their closely guarded society. But he soon discovers that this ice-cold Psy is very capable of passion - and that the animal in him is fascinated by her. Caught between their conflicting worlds, Lucas and Sascha must remain bound to their identities - or sacrifice everything for a taste of darkest temptation...

Ren's Review:

 After I read "Angels' Blood" and "Archangel's Kiss", it made me fall in love with the "Guild Hunter's" Series. So,I decided to read another Nalini Singh series, PSY-Changeling. I wanted to know if this series was as good as the Guild Hunter.

So, after my second read,I must admit that I feel, "WOW!!" with the plot, world building and background in this series. Set in the future, PSY-Changeling reminds me of the "In Death" series by J.D. Robb, but of course its different :D (Got that J.D. Robb is Nalini's favorite author, oh same with me!! :D)

In this book, Earth has 3 races.The supernatural being called Psy (they have various ability and they rule the Earth government and have a big domination of economy aspect).Another supernatural being that mixes  their DNA with animals and can change to it,the shape shifters are called Changeling (and they're hot, hot, hot :D). And the last are the  Human, ordinary beings without no special ability (yeah, they're the lowest race :( )...

1969...
Psy decide to make program, called Silence, to nullified Psy' s emotion. So they will not succumb to madness and have esire to kill each other. They can't feel anything, anger, joy, jealous, and the most important emotion,love.

2079...
Sascha Duncan , a cardinal Psy, with eye color as dark as night, meet Lucas Hunter, alpha of Leopard Changeling's pack, DarkRiver, to discuss about project development for Changeling. Sascha get a feeling for Lucas, something that she considered for a failure, because she is Psy! She doesn't feel anything !

Lucas himself has an agenda, he investigates about the serial killer. The killer has killed his pack's member, and she is one of his sentinel's sister, Dorian Christensen. He tries to seduce Sascha, to get information. But, he gets curious with Sascha. He knows that Psy are  cold creatures, then Sascha beguiled him .

Sascha, despite her relationship with Lucas, starts getting to  know more  about theChangeling's world. And Lucas realizes that Sascha is not cold like she always seems. Sascha always feel that she had failed her mother, she is not competent as Psy, but Lucas proves her wrong. Lucas helps Sascha to feel again, like a human would. And he takes her to DarkRiver, to claim her as his mate.

But, the killer act again, now the victim is from Wolf Changeling Pack, SnowDancer, the DarkRiver's alliance. Hawke, SnowDancer's alpha, gives an ultimatum to Lucas and Sascha. 7 days to find Brenna Kincaid (the victim) or, he will kill Sascha. Sascha of course does not believe that Psy can kill people, because Silence prevents them from killing people. But she agrees to help Lucas, even though she might cost her life, when she realizes that she is Lucas' s mate. She love Lucas, and DarkRiver then becames her home.

For the first book of PSY-Changeling series, Slave to Sensation has a good start and foundation for the development in story. The Changeling's word is easy to understand, but not with the Psy's world.
Psy's world is complicated. They're so many Psy abilities, Psy-net, the web of Psy, and then Council (same with Cadre of Ten in Guild Hunter). But, still I enjoy the story ( I heart Lucas!! :D) and maybe will re-read the next books, if I have time :)





3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your feelings are a little different to my impression of this book, In my case I was expecting to be blown away and I didn't, I liked a lot, but I didn't go crazy over it, but I guess I should continue, everybody says this series gets better and better, and the only way to find out is to listen (you know me, and my audiobooks) to the darn thing.
My rating was 4 stars too.
Thank you, great review :)

Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

yeah I wasn't blown away by the 1st book either. The 2nd is a little better. I have a feeling this is one of those series where the next book is better than the last. I have books 1-5 on audio so I'll at least make it that far in the series. LOL

Ren said...

As for me, book #1-5 is the weakest book in Psy-Changeling. But after Branded by Fire (book #6) things get interesting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...