} -->

Friday 5 October 2012

Reason To Breathe (#1) By Rebecca Donovan


 




Thessa's Review:


 4.75 Stars

I am one hot mess right now. One. Hot. Freaking. Mess. I seriously felt like I took a punch in the gut. I was so emotionally absorbed in this story; I barely had enough time to catch my breath when it just abruptly ended. WTF just happened?

I’m not a huge fan of any story that doesn’t have a HEA. I knew going into this, that this was not going to end well, but I decided to pick it up anyway. However, I did purposely wait for Barely Breathing (Book #2) to come out before reading this. This put me and my fragile emotions through the wringer. I love stories that evoke all your feelings. This story had my heart aching, had me crying and even had me feeling like I was on cloud nine. Everything that makes us feel alive, this had it. I loved feeling like that and when it abruptly ended, I didn’t care that it didn’t end happy, I just cared that I felt so much. Does that make any sense?

Emma, Emma, Emma. You are one brave girl. Everything that happened to you in this story, I felt it. I felt the fear, the anxiety, the pain, and the heartache. But most of all, I felt your happiness because it didn’t come often. You deserved everything good that came your way. You deserved having an awesome best friend in Sara, and you definitely deserve your happiness with the very sweet, loving, and extremely persistent, Evan.

Evan has now become one of my favorite book boyfriends. I freaking LOVE him. Even after Emma consistently tells him she just wants to be friends, he never gave up just being there for her. Ultimately, he wins the girl. Thank God! It seemed like it took forever, but man, it made it a hundred times sweeter.

Fair warning to those considering reading this: Yes, this story has teenage characters, but it’s far from your usual YA. This book deals with abuse and the author does not hold back any punches. Emma’s aunt is beyond cruel. She’s a terrible person, with serious mental issues, and some of the scenes were extremely disturbing and very cringe-worthy. I couldn’t fathom going through all that. It was insane. The story was achingly good and extremely well written. Highly recommend for those looking for an emotional read. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...