} -->

Friday 11 January 2013

Painted Faces by L.H. Cosway

Dublin native Freda Wilson considers herself to be an acquired taste. She has a habit of making offensive jokes and speaking her mind too often. She doesn't have the best track record with first impressions, which is why she gets a surprise when her new neighbour Nicholas takes a shine to her.

Nicholas is darkly handsome, funny and magnetic, and Freda feels like her black and white existence is plunged into a rainbow of colour when she's around him. When he walks into a room he lights it up, with his quick wit and charisma. He is a travelling cabaret performer, but Freda doesn't know exactly what that entails until the curtains pull back on his opening night. 

She is gob-smacked and entirely intrigued to see him take to the stage in drag. Later on, Nicholas asks her if she would like to become his show assistant. Excited by the idea, she jumps at the chance. Soon she finds herself immersed in a world of wigs, make-up and high heels, surrounded by pretty men and the temptation of falling for her incredibly beautiful employer.

In this story of passion and sexual discovery, Nicholas and Freda will contend with jealousy, emotional highs and lows, and the kind of love that only comes around once in a lifetime. 



Rhonda's Review:



5 Magnificently Unconventional, Brilliant stars!!! 

Come forth with an open mind, for an unconventional tale of love...

Girl meets boy who likes to dress as a girl.......




Meet Nicholas aka Vivica Blue:

What a fascinating character! There were so many reasons to love Nicholas. I mean from the prologue you instantly love him because you know what makes him tick, so to speak. He's so much fun in either persona, but as Nicholas he's all sexy, charming, man and as Vivica, he is one hell of an entertainer, and still sexy as hell!!! I absolutely loved that he is brave enough to continue with his lifestyle when the odds weren't at all in his favor. I loved his sense of humor, and I loved that he is incredibly patient with Freda and her pacing and insecurities. I loved that he sees her as perfect. Nicholas is flawed, and beautiful.

“I think you might have a few kinks in your armour there, Viv.”
His grin borders on devilish. Yes, devilish. “Lots of kinks, lots of quirks, my sexuality is multi-faceted.”
 


Meet Freda aka Fred:

Freda is a fabulously fun woman! Snarky, quick witted, funny and at times abrasive. Fred really has a “take no shit” attitude, and I absolutely loved that about her. Fred also has self-esteem issues, but really knows herself well. She knows what she wants even if she’s not certain how to obtain it. She understands herself, and why she has the insecurities she does even if she can’t change them. I totally get her, and unless you have walked in those shoes you’ll never understand. I love that Fred is unequivocally accepting of Nicholas and loved him even more for what and who he is. I will say I love Freda just as much as Nicholas and it’s been a long time since I loved a H/h equally. 

“I’m getting all hot and bothered over a man who’s more comfortable in make up and heels than I am.” 

What a fabulous book to start the year with!! When I read the blurb for this story I was completely intrigued. When I started reading it I couldn’t put it down!! There is an amazing cast of secondary characters in this story that brought plenty of laughs right along with Viv and Fred. It’s been a while since I smiled and laughed this much while reading a book. There is also heartbreak and sadness to this story, and I loved every page! 

“Hey,” he whispers seriously. I glance back up at him. “You'll always be my friend, won't you Fred? Don't let me fuck this up. I need you in my life now. I need the golden eyed girl who can make me smile.” 

Painted Faces is brilliant! If you’re in the mood for a unique contemporary love story, I highly recommend this one. This one most certainly landed on my favorites shelf.


1 comment:

GraceMyBookSnack said...

Reading it right now, and can't put it down either! Awesome review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...